

I was actually sad last week about the demise of this little spider. We talked to her every evening as she spun her web by the light. At first it was "Hey dumdum! You are attatched to the trash can lid. I am messing up your web to open it." Later it was " So sorry, but what is wrong with you? Every night I mess up your hard work, why don't you move up to connect between the two shrubberies, instead of the one shrubbery to the trash can lid?"
Eventually, I resigned to "ooooh, you've got a big fly tonight, yummy. Wow, you are really big." "Excuse me while I mess up your web, sorry." Then, I just didn't take the trash out after dark, but Doug and I would watch her. He took the photos. Last Friday, she didn't make her web. She was feebly trying to move about, and looked very tired. I asked her if she was getting old already. I told her I hoped she felt better. The next night, there was a new spider, building her web in the same spot. How ruthless. She looks about the same, only a bit smaller. I don't like her as much, totally different personality.
Life is fleeting, be grateful for your blessings and enjoy every little moment.
2 comments:
I don't really like spiders, but sometimes it is wirth it to stop and watch/think about them. I remember when I was growing up on Halloween every year a spider would come and make a gigantic web in the exact same spot right by our front door. I loved it and thought it made my house more special and anyne elses on Halloween! Thanks for sharing your story!
Sister Bingham, I love you, this story is SO YOU, and I laughed when I read it. Though it is very sad. it's always difficult to find a spider neighbor you really like.
-Hailey
Post a Comment